Sunday, November 8, 2009

BP9_2009118_Web 2.0 tools Response

Screenshot by Hardy Reeves

Here is the post and comment from Telitha Lucier's blog:

So for my latest assignment I had to research and write about a web 2.0 tool that I could use in my job. I looked at all of the offerings that the site had and not many of them had implications for my teaching. In the end I found that Storybird was a great site because it allows me to create books and publish information for my classes. I was able to use it to create a short child-like storybook about biomes. A biome is a specific type of habitat or environment like a desert or a mountain region.My freshman class will be looking at biomes in this upcoming chapter and I thought this might be a great way to introduce it to them. To view the book, click the link below.

http://storybird.com/books/the-biomes-of-the-world/

I think that this is a very useful website and I plan on sharing it with my coworkers. I find this useful in a couple of different ways. As I’ve mentioned before I work in a school that was founded to specifically cater to dyslexia and similar learning differences. In my school there are two English classes that each student takes every day. The first is titled Language Training. In this class the students learn how to make sense of the English language and how to spell. The second English class that each student takes is called Literature and Composition. As the name implies this is much more of the classical English class. The students read books and write reports. I can see Storybird being used in the Literature and Composition class as an alternative way for the students to write their book reports. I can also see it being used in a class like History or Science, which I teach. In my classes I might use Storybird so that the students can create a book about what they’ve been learning – this could be in place of a weekly quiz. I can also see implications for the use of Storybird when it comes to longer writing projects, specifically in my Freshman Science class. I’m rather pleased with this new resource that I’ve found.


Artwork by:

Agocs, Irisz. Retrieved from http://storybird.com/iriszagocs/ on November 2, 2009.

1 comments:

HardyReeves said...

Telitha what a great site! I really enjoyed reading about Biomes (thanks for the link I'll be using your book in my Life Science review during testing time). I can see this being used in my classes as well-instead of the students worrying about what their pictures look like they can focus more on the content. I had a lot of fun playing around and starting a quick story of my own. Thank you for sharing this!

No comments:

Post a Comment